Two people have been killed, and 15 others, including a Chicago police officer, have been injured in shootings across the city this weekend, police said.
Two men were killed in a robbery at a business at approximately 7:13 p.m. on Saturday near East 112th Place and South Michigan Avenue, police said. Two male suspects reportedly confronted a 42-year-old man before going inside a business, and announcing a robbery.
The victim, who had a license to carry a gun, confronted the suspects, and as a result, shots were fired, police said. The victim was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center where he died. A 51-year-old man inside the business sustained two gunshot wounds to the leg, and was taken to the hospital in stable condition.
One of the suspects, an 18-year-old man, was shot, and taken to the hospital where he died. The second offender fled the scene, and was not in custody as of Saturday evening.
The shooting that involved a Chicago police officer happened at approximately 8:40 a.m. on Saturday in the 6500 block of South Winchester Avenue when police went to a home in search of a wanted suspect.
Officers knocked on the door, the offender attempted to flee and was confronted by a couple of officers. The 48-year-old officer, a 16-year veteran of the force, underwent surgery at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, and was last reported in stable condition.
The alleged suspect, 45-year-old Michael Blackman, was shot during a confrontation with police on Saturday afternoon. Blackman was also wanted for allegedly shooting a woman while riding a bike in the Fulton River District earlier this week.
Here are the rest of the weekend’s shooting:
- At approximately 7:33 p.m. in the 700 block of W. 100 St., a 24-year-old man was struck by gunfire while inside a vehicle, police said. The victim sustained two gunshot wounds to the shoulder, and was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition.
- In the 7600 block of South Drexel at approximately 8:36 p.m., a 23-year-old woman was struck by gunfire while inside of a home, police said. The shots reportedly came from outside the home. The victim was hit once in the leg, and went to Stroger Hospital where she was listed in critical condition.
- One man and two teens were shot while standing on a sidewalk at approximately 8:47 p.m. in the 900 block of West Arthington, according to police. A 39-year-old man was shot in the leg, while a 14-year-old boy sustained a gunshot wound to the left foot. A third person, another 14-year-old boy, was shot in the right leg. All three victims were listed in stable condition at the hospital.
- In the 6200 block of South Seeley at approximately 10:04 p.m., a 33-year-old man was shot in the back while standing on a sidewalk, police said. The victim was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in critical condition.
- A 28-year-old man was shot while walking on the sidewalk at approximately 11:45 p.m. in the 6200 block of South Yale. The victim was dropped off at St. Bernard’s Hospital by a citizen, and listed in stable condition, police said.
- Police officers found a 25-year-old woman who had been shot in the face inside a vehicle at approximately 12:04 a.m. in the 4400 block of Congress Parkway, officers said. Police first responded to the area for a ShotSpotter Alert. The victim was transported to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition.
- At approximately 12:10 a.m. in the 5400 block of South Laflin, a 21-year-old woman sustained a gunshot wound when someone inside a vehicle opened fire, police said. The victim was transported to Holy Cross Hospital in stable condition.
- In the 2300 block of South St. Louis at approximately 12:28 a.m., someone inside a vehicle opened fire, shooting two people who were standing on a sidewalk, police said. A 45-year-old woman and 23-year-old man both sustained gunshot wounds, and were listed in stable condition at the hospital.
- An 18-year-old man was shot when someone inside a black SUV opened fire at approximately 2:12 a.m. in the 2300 block of W. 66th St., police said. The victim was transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center with a graze wound to the head.
- In the 300 block of North Homan at approximately 2:50 p.m., an 18-year-old woman was shot by an unknown offender while standing in an alley, according to police. The victim was hit once in the shoulder, and transported to Stroger Hospital in good condition.