Iran has responded to President Donald Trump’s decision to deploy more American troops to the Middle East amid escalating tensions in the region.
Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps commander Major General Hossein Salami said Saturday that Iran is “ready for any type of scenario” and that any country that attacks Iran will become a “battlefield.”
“Whoever wants their land to become the main battlefield, go ahead,” he said, according to AFP. “We will never allow any war to encroach upon Iran’s territory.”
He later threatened that “limited aggression will not remain limited.”
Salami’s threats come after Secretary of Defense Mark Esper announced Friday the U.S. would deploy additional forces to the Middle East in hopes a show of force prevents further escalation.
“The president has approved the deployment of U.S. forces which will be defensive in nature and primarily focused on air and missile defense,” Esper said.
“As the president has made clear, the United States does not seek conflict with Iran,” he explained. “That said we have many other military options available should they be necessary.”
According to NBC News, U.S. officials have also accelerated the delivery of advanced military equipment to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Although tensions have been increasing in the region for months, officials around the world are on high alert after a major Saudi oil plant was attacked last week. U.S. officials blamed Iran for the attack, although Houthi rebels in Yemen, which receive aid from Iran, claimed responsibility for the attack.